Monday, November 12, 2007

Simple Christianity #3... "How do I become a Christian?"

Can you remember the day you decided to become a Christian?  I can still remember the day I did.  It was a sleepy Sunday night in early June.  I was seventeen and had been thinking about it for a long time.  Our church services that night consisted of a long video presentation on “Family” but I don’t remember anything of it.  I wasn’t converted by the sermon or the lesson.  I had already been converted by seeing the example of so many of the Christians I knew in the church.  They had something that I wanted.  I’m not sure I could put my finger on it at the time, but I saw in their lives a sense of peace… of calm… and purpose.  I had none of those things (of course, what teenage boy does?).  But, I knew that I wanted it… and was convinced that Jesus offered it.  I was right, in retrospect.  I look back and know that I made the right decision.  I didn’t fully know then all that meant, and I probably still don’t.  But I remain convinced that the path of Jesus is the right one.  I started it that night by walking that short path down the aisle and confessing my faith.  Our youth minister, whom I had come to love and admire simply because he showed me what an active and vibrant faith looked like, then baptized me into Christ and I was received by my new church family with open arms.  What a great day it was!  I’ve tried to stay on that path ever since.  Some days go better than others.

What’s YOUR story?  How did YOU make the decision to follow Christ?  What do you tell others when they ask you, “Sign me up!  How can I become a Christian?”

 

I’m also interested in hearing your stories about the blessings that you have found through your faith in Christ.  How have you experienced PEACE because of your faith?  What about JOY?  What about HOPE?  Can you think of particular incidences or stories that you might be willing to share with me?

No comments:

Welcome to Jim's blog!

Thanks for visiting my blog... I hope you'll find it helpful, perhaps insightful or at least a little humorous. I hope to do several things through this blog... share pictures, thoughts, and funny stories... but also to converse back and forth about what we are reading in God's Word together. In preparing for Sunday's message each week, I am interested in hearing from you... what do YOU think about Sunday's text? What are your questions? Suggestions? Just click on the COMMENTS section and let's talk. I'll do my best to give you a "heads up" on upcoming lessons and I would greatly appreciate your thoughts. Thanks in advance!